View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 06:17 AM   #24
bigd1101

Default Re: Locating dimple on timing gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdaviesjr View Post
So, if I had set my timing to what I thought was TDC, but in reality it was the top of the exhaust stroke on #1 piston, how would that play out when I tried to start the engine or run the car? I assume it would not start easily, run very well, and would backfire like crazy?? or not run at all??

This is why the dimple is used to set the timing. It's really not that complicated although with so many cooks in this broth here, and we all have our own methods in dealing with our cars, the easiest way (logically speaking) is once again, remove the spark plugs, put the car in NEUTRAL, and turn the engine over by hand using the fan or belt until you find the allusive dimple. Do NOT attempt this with the car in 3rd gear......as you are setting up a broken fan, a broken fan pulley and you are fighting against the gear you are in. The engine will turn very easily in NEUTRAL with the plugs OUT. This method makes it easy as you can turn the engine over as many times as it takes to find the indent, which on some cars, can be very difficult depending on the depth of the dimple.

Don
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote