View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Homemade crank nut wrench ?

This works for a Model B. I think spacing to the various obstructions is about the same as Model A.
I started with a Craftsman 36 MM socket on a tip from someone on this board...it is close enough, and, oddly, it was the only 1/2" drive socket I could find for the job. Everything by everyone in 1 3/8 was 3/4" drive and was just too big and bulky for the space.
Then I snapped in a square adapter, also from Sears...not sure exactly what to call these. The device is simply a drive square topped with a 3/4" hex so you can turn a socket with a flat wrench. They come in sets of 3, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2, and only add about 3/8 of an inch to the length of the socket, making it compact enough to wiggle into place. The rig is turned by a Sears 3/4" ratcheting reversible box wrench...I bought 2 of these, one flat, the other offset. Don't remember which fit best. I keep the whole mess together.
This fits, is convenient, and the reversible ratchet is perfect for finding the right rotational spot. Just remember to be turning forward on the final approach.
By the way, modern Sears plating is HORRIBLE...the whole set is a ball of rust now, but still works. The rest of my Craftsman stuff from 1962 still has good plating.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote