View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 03:17 PM   #9
Mister Moose

Default Re: Jumping 6V with 12V battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
Feel the coil and starter if you are having prolonged attempts you could cook the six volt battery if you overdo it but I never have . The jumper cables provide a voltage drop as does the starter motor so the coil does not get the full 12 volts anyway .
Yes, the jumper cables provide a voltage drop. So does the car's 6V battery, which will absorb current to recharge itself. For a few seconds I don't think there is a concern, and yes, I've done it too. If someone wants to take the time and do an experiment, hook up a voltmeter to the wire coming off the starter or fuse block, and jump the car with 12V. Report back on what you see.
I'll bet a Heady Topper that it is considerably less than 12V. (It should vary with the state of charge of the 6V battery though)

I seem to remember checking cranking voltage once on a 12V modern system, and it was 9-10V. When you draw 200 amps for a big load like a starter, the voltage drops.

When I've jumped with 12V the starter did turn more smartly than with the 6V alone though.

I do agree to turn off all the light before doing this, no point tempting fate. If you need a jump, why are the lights on in the first place?
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote