View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Bill G

Default Re: Telling someone to check the Judging Standards

I agree too. If we want to encourage younger folks to participate, lets just answer the question. No harm in that. If you don't want to answer the question, then why be snarky and say that it's found in the bulletins or JS. If you don't want to answer the question, then just don't say anything. The same goes with telling someone to search. That's just plain rude in my opinion.

I can tell you that I have spent hours and hours doing searches on this forum, and sometimes the search engine is not very good. I also use the "site:" command in Google to search this forum and others. Some people, particularly newbies either don't have the patience or know some of the terminology to do an adequate search.

I have now invested a lot of money to now have the JS, the bulletins, all three Les Andrews books, and a few others. I have spent hours most every night reading, reading, reading. However, in the year that I have had my Model A, I did not get to that point over night. Also, I am like a guy with a PhD going on his first job. I have a log of "book learning", but not so much in line of hands on experience, particularly anything on the inside of the engine, transmission, or rear end. I will get there eventually, but in the meantime I may ask a question from time to time that might seem basic from someone else's prospective.

All that being said, to any new person reading this, it is very helpful to use the search function, and another very helpful FREE resource are the assembly diagrams that the various vendors have in their catalogs and their on-line stores.

Yet another good resource is the links to other websites found at the very top of this forum page. Look those up, and if you find something relevant to a project you are working on, then bookmark the link you find.

I generally find that if one is patient enough, one can generally find almost anything. I can almost guarantee that it has been asked or discussed before. But, I for one will still ask from time to time.

To borrow a byline from another Bill:

"Bill Soapbox"
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote