View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 06:43 AM   #17
bettlesr

Default Re: Modern one piece valve guide removal

I removed the guides as Brent suggested. They came out with no problems. Before I installed the new guides, I machined the reduced diameter from the the end back until I was close to where the old guide was in the block. That made it a lot easier to get started straight. I then machined the tip of the guide to accept a seal. I got a straight punch (1/2" diameter) for my air chisel and machined the tip so the first 1/2" was the same diameter as the valve stem and slowly pressed them in. To get the seals on, I made a driver like the bigger one they came with and pressed them on using my valve spring compressor. Hardest part was getting the bigger valve springs back in as they hit the lifters. Slid the bottom of the spring up on a stiff scraper resting on the lifter, compressed the spring and then slid the keeper under it. From this point it was easy.
I kept the area clean by stuffing rags inside the chamber before drilling and tapping, removed the rags and checked around the chamber with a strong magnet to get the last few chips.
After I adjust the valves the pistons will go back in ....etc. and then on the road again.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.