View Single Post
Old 02-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
30AAFord

Default Idle Screw - Running Issue on a '33 BB

Will start this out by saying I've been a Model T and Model A guy for 40 years - am very new to V8s. I have a '33 BB that sat in an equipment shed for 20 years. I got it running, but am having a problem with how she is running. The engine is a 21-stud, but not original to the truck. Generator has been rebuilt, distributor rebuilt (by Bubba's Ignition), running a rebuilt 59A carb (Mac's) and a new fuel pump. Here is the issue:

I can only get the truck to stay running with the idle adjust screw fully screwed in (maxed out). Any adjustment short of that and the engine will die when accelerated. I have played with the mixture adjustments endlessly and it has made no difference. I looked at the Service Manual and now keep them set at the 3/4s off full seat the manual mentions.

I should also note that even at full adjustment of the idle screw, the truck will eventually act like it is starving for fuel and die (usually after running for a while).

Any ideas on what to check would be greatly appreciated - I've been messing with this on/off for a couple of months now and am out of troubleshooting ideas.
30AAFord is offline   Reply With Quote