View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Fastenal Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Hmm.. LTL freight is sometimes a nightmare.

Two weeks ago I ordered a 25' I beam to make a hoist trolley. I specified that I needed an end delivery with a skid-loader as I had no loading dock and needed it placed on the ground at the destination. That cost an extra $130. Gave them contact numbers to call ahead, etc. Yesterday the shippers tracking showed they had not even picked it up from the steel yard.

The doorbell rings, it's a 90 lb gal with a 40' enclosed semi from a different shipper with the beam. Picked up, subcontracted/ handed off, no call ahead forwarded, tracking useless, wrong truck type, no way to unload. I think my I beam is somewhere in Addison, IL. now.

Next time I'll just order 25 one-foot beams, send them parcel post and weld together however many actually get delivered.

Mike, we truly feel your pain. The economy is very strong which means the good employees are taken (-and employers are nervous at trying to retain them!!), and now the new service industry workforce has been taken from fast-food restaurant's employee base and they have moved them up into the service counter jobs. Companies are absolutely overwhelmed at trying to train new employees. I recently attended an all-day seminar on how to train & work Millennials in the modern workforce. One moment I had sheer laughter on my face and the next moment I had sheer panic on my face. Predictions are that the Millennial and Generation Z workforce will become the next crippling factor for the economy.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote