Thread: 51 Merc-O-Matic
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 05:18 PM   #6
5lugnuts

Default Re: 51 Merc-O-Matic

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
From under the car it is a pia but doable when I was much younger (17). Motor mounts suffered a bit until I realized to put a jack and a piece of wood under the engine and don't forget the speedo cable like I did. The crossmember and drive shaft have to be removed also. No drain on the pan, but the fluid did come out the tail shaft and made a mess. Then everything has to go back in again and lifting that transmission up and in required a friend to help. There was at that time a transmission jack with four wheels and adjustments for lifting and angling and lowering but I didn't have one. Maybe they rent them now.

The next time I started the night before and removed the hood, front hood support with latch and radiator, disconnected the engine wires and linkage. Next day, I pulled the engine and trans as a unit being carful when lifting the tail shaft over the front of the car. This part was less than an hour and I was able to push the car back and drop everything on the floor safely. Going back in was just the reverse of coming out. This method was slow and steady but still required some carful jockeying around since I was doing it alone and not experienced. The transmission mount is on the tail shaft housing (two bolts).
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote