Thread: Model A horns
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #16
wcolo

Thumbs up Re: Model A horns

I have restored horns for resale for many years and I have restored all of the five manufacturers of horns. Spartons because of their hype and label seem to be the best seller, but personally I much prefer the Stewart/Warner(S/W) for several reasons and they are as follows, the S/W's I purchase or receive for restoration always seem to have really decent looking motors(a few exceptions though) due to the one piece cap that fits tight and eliminates a lot of environmental damage to the motor, the motor retaining band is much wider and supports the motor quite well, the oiler caps on the later S/W's are covered and eliminates a lot of dirt getting into the armature bearings, and lastly, I have done many horns and the Stewart/Warner seems to have a more consistent and decent ahooga sound. I run a S/W on my 1930 Roadster and it consistently works even when the engine is not running.

It is hard to believe the judges are being so picky on labels. Originals weathered Sparton Labels are ALL black and only the date is usually readable, the reproductions labels made now are decent and one can get a stamped label from A&L back east. If the judges are so smart, why don't they offer some solution to the Sparton Label issue? Additionally, many AMES,S/W and GMI have very faint stampings on the horns from the factory, and this is how they were sold as new. If a stamping is faint on a rust free horn, that is how it was made. For judges to be judging manufacture stamping depth is just plain wrong, incorrect, and basically dumb. They should restore a 100 horns like I have done and they would see that there are issues made from the factory that cannot be addressed or controlled.

If I were to rate horns on performance, from best to worst, I would rate S/W, then Sparton, followed by AMES and GMI together, and EA at a distant last. I am not an EA fan. I have done them for restoration, but have never gotten the sound out them as I do with S/W's and Spartons and generally their condition seems poor since most are found back east. All of my comments are based upon what I have observed from the many restorations I have done. Yes, I am a Stewart/Warner fan.
wcolo is offline   Reply With Quote