Thread: Adjusting
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #6
SAJ

Default Re: Adjusting

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hello Werner.Look up "Duby gauge" in Google. Then make one from a spring loaded trammel from 2 pieces of steel tubing (from memory mine used 5/8 and 3/4 inch tube) from the hardware store that telescope together. Make and press-in a pointed bung in each tube end to grip the tyre inner sidewalls. Apply at the front, sprung in between the tyres at wishbone height, mark the tubes where they overlap, roll car forwards until the trammel is just under the wishbone, mark again and the toe in is the difference between the marks. Ford specified a height below centre for the measured toe in I think, which is where the wishbone sits. I hung 2 chains on mine for height setting, just like a Duby Gauge. Use split pins through the tubes to retain the spring inside the tubes, set to a suitable tension so it will remain in place as you roll the car forward. Don't take the reading after rolling backwards, since slack in joints and bearings may change it. Repeat the rolling forwards and reading several times after each trial setting of the tie rod for good accuracy.
Quick to make and very accurate. A laser alignment machine showed my settings to be perfect, despite what some detractors may say. That is on several different cars.
SAJ in NZ

Last edited by SAJ; 02-19-2019 at 07:19 PM.
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote