View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 09:02 PM   #55
woofa.express

Default Re: Take a gander at this.

This is a responce to Patrick L. The previous story in this thread.

Yes it was a Curtiss aeroplane which made the first Atlantic crossing. An NC4, the N for navy (and it was built for the US navy and they crewed this flight) and C for Curtiss. The date May 1919. A 19-day flight from New York to Lisbon, Portugal. Yes Patrick, Curtiss made a very substantial contribution to early aviation and including military aeroplanes in both wars. To have a connection with Mr Curtiss would be pleasing.

The first non-stop Atlantic crossing was by a British crew, Alcock and Brown in June 1919 in a Vickers Vimy. They made an unceremonious landing - having a mishap on landing in Ireland. Four entrants were competing, departing from New Foundland. One Australian, well known Harry Hawker who suffered engine cooling failure 7 hours after takeoff and ended up in the drink.

The well known aviator who crossed the Atlantic is of course Charles Lindbergh. His claim to fame is the flight which lasted for 33 hours was solo. He would have been a very tired fellow when he landed.

I did know some of this history but needed to consult Wikipedia for details. If this information contradicts any readers opinion or knowledge it is okay by me to say so. I shan’t be offended.

pictures in order. CN4, Victers Vimy, Sopwith Atlantic and the slick Ryan built flown by Lindbergh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown-7.jpeg (7.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown-8.jpeg (11.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown-9.jpeg (10.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown-10.jpeg (11.3 KB, 11 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 08-17-2020 at 03:19 AM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote