View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
Old Henry

Default Re: Virgin 47 engine low oil pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith oh View Post
Years ago, in the no detergent oil days, another "Used car lot procedure" for sludged up engines was to drain all the oil and replace with Kerosene, start it up and idle for a min or so then drain out the crud. and fill with regular oil. It usually did the job and I don't ever remember harming an engine, after all Kerosene is a very thin lubricant.
That's one of the things I did to clean out my engine that had sat for 31 years before I started it up. Plus, I wrapped a popsicle stick with paper towel and scraped as much of the sludge as I could out of the bottom of the oil pan through the drain hole. Drove it 10,000 miles after that before having it rebuilt. Ran fine.

P.S. You might want to have a look at my video on YouTube of starting that engine after 31 years. Over 700,000 have thought it entertaining so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY389S_KUjs