View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #330
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Good Advise from Jim Watt.

When I was younger and in business I attended and enjoyed the annual conference of our national ag operators association. An informative and social event and sort of an annual holiday which you Americans would call an annual vacation. Holiday is a word derived when all would have time off for a holy day. A biblical word.
One frequent speaker at these conferences was a Bayer Chemicals rep by the name of Jim Watt. One year he spoke of litigation. He had a skit projected on a screen of a dispute between a pilot and farmer. The farmer pulling a cow by the horns and the pilot by the tail. Opposing each other. Each wanting the beast. Sitting about midway, on a stool with a bucket between his knees was a bloke in a black gown and white wig on his head and milking like mad. He was of course a lawyer.
Jim Watt gave us all some advise. Three things he said, you all should know about litigation. 1.Avoid it. 2.Avoid it. 3.Avoid it. I never forgot those words.
Years later I carried forward a herbicide that damaged a canola crop. Wiped it out. Farmer came to town to discuss it. I admitted error, accepted responsibility and asked him not to see a lawyer. I sent him home with a 5K deposit and later payed him an additional 27K. There's no insurance for negligence. The cost would have been considerably more had I not taken advice. It would have been more too had I not shown good will for he responded by replanted with a short season cereal crop which offset the loss somewhat.
I continued to do the farmers aerial work and he and I remain good friends. What was expensive enough would have been more so without Jim Watt’s wise council. Thankyou Jim.
Different skit, same principle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lawyer milking cow.jpg (19.5 KB, 17 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 11-09-2018 at 07:48 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote