View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 06:39 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Radiator soldering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
Be very careful. The whole thing can ,come apart if you get things too hot.
Ummmm, this really has not been my experiences with this. When you look at the construction of an A radiator, you have a core that has an upper and lower header attached. The headers are attached to the core tubes by "rolling" them in, -or swaging. You then have an upper and lower tank that is soldered to the header, and there are outlets/inlets soldered onto those tanks.

I have found that radiator repair really is NOT that difficult, ...even by a novice. I know someone above recommended using a propane torch however only in rare (-emergency) situations have I found the integrated bottle-type hobbyist torches to work well in this application. The issue is most hand-held propane torches do not like to be inverted or put into positions that causes the liquid to rush to the burner as this causes the flame to vary or extinguish. My radiator torch is a handheld that uses a remote tank, and uses compressed air at 5lbs to diffuse/soften the flame. The tip of the flame is still much smaller (concentrated) than what you would find with a bottle-type propane torch. I have found the biggest thing for failure or success is how clean you get the two surfaces. Liberal use of Flux & warming heat, along with constant brushing is your friend. When you think you have it clean, do it again.

One other thought. I would strongly discourage using any type of epoxies like JB Weld as you risk failure, and to ensure all of the epoxy is gone when someone is going to make the proper repair will likely mean the tank will need to come off for thorough cleaning. I do realize there might be emergency situations where JB Weld is suitable but I would discourage the use of it in this scenario.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote