View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #6
Karl

Default Re: 33 fordor that was unreliable update

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Sadly this scenario is all to common for owners who don't know how to repair old cars or cant find anyone else to do the job correctly. The end result is a car that is butchered up and never to be original again. The worst thing about this is the fixers don't even realise the damage they have done. But in their eyes its fixed ok. Regards, Kevin.
I agree Kevin Henry actually made a damn fine car. With a little regular maintenance and common sense they function just fine as they were built.
The more I go on the more I distrust modern "upgrades" Only yesterday one or my friends ( a 1934 Chev owner ) drove my car . He commented how good my brakes were and actually asked me what I had done to them and did I have an hydraulic upgrade in it . He felt that they were much better than his Chev and equivalent to his modern car. The response was stock standard BUT adjusted correctly , good drums , original type linings , shoes centered correctly , Rollers all good, Cross shaft in the correct position All Clevis pins absent slop and everything lubricated correctly.

My Model A runs like a swizz watch - I run the standard points and condenser. but again the points are NOS as is the condenser. For years I ran the modern points and condenser plate . What a nightmare to set the point gap and it runs better with the original set up . Ah but the condenser will over heat and fail I hear but now been going strong for 10 years with no problems !

Karl