View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #18
1930-Pickup

Default Re: Model A Pickup Beds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell In Vancouver View Post
I can state that that is true for the 1931 AA deck wood. Milled both sides on an original I took apart. Round washers were found rather than square.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
1930-Pickup,
The picture in Mack Hil's booklet doesn't say what year the bed was, but did said it was an "original" bed. The pickup bed floor wood kit I bought on eBay had grooves on both sides. In addition, the wood was marked "TOP" on each piece where the metal stripes would cover up the markings. Some of the undersides were not quite as nice as the side marked top, which tends to support SeaSlugs posting. Just guessing, I suspect sometime in the last 87 years the wood floor in your bed was replaced. I think it would look pretty rough if it were the original, as pickup's weren't treated very nicely (garaged) through the years. They were used hard and left mostly outside.
Rusty Nelson
It appears that I must concede that the boards are grooved on both sides. Its good to get to the truth , but bad that my bed wood is not factory original

My truck was taken off the road and stored indoors approximately 1963. It was stored near Fullerton CA which is a pretty good rust slow-growth area.
It was returned to the road about 2014 by the PO.

The bed wood is aged, cracked, and warped. The underside hardware seen in the photo (posted earlier) is rusty and may be seized. The top of the boards are properly sized and grooved.

Prior to the mid-1950's, were Model A vendors supplying wood bed kits, and would it have been a fairly common practice to replace bed wood?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (72.7 KB, 59 views)