View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #18
CWPASADENA

Question Re: 3.54 Gears in a 32-34 rear end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
The big problem would be the larger OD size and length of the Columbia axle housing. The housing could be shortened, care would have to be taken to not compromise the position of the inner axle seal which is larger than the stock Ford inner axle seal.
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE, SOMETHINGS JUST TAKE LONGER AND COST MORE.
It is becoming quite common to re-make the right hand "Late" Columbia Axle Housing into an "Earlier" axle housing configuration.

I have had a "Late" Columbia, that has had the R/H Housing re-configured, in my '34 P.U. for more then 40 years now with no problems what so ever. I did the engineering but had Cook Machine in Santa Fe Springs do the modification of the housing. I even re-machined the cast iron Columbia Housing to fit the narrower '34 Center Section. I understand now there is a spacer ring being made that will allow the "Late" cast iron Columbia Housing to properly fit the narrow "Early" Center Section. You just take the thickness of the spacer into consideration when re-working the R/H Housing.

A few monthes ago, I re-worked a '46-'48 R/H housing into the '37-'39 Configuration. This time, I did the work my self as I now have a big enough lathe and TIG capabilities in my shop which I did not have 40 years ago. There are others who do this work on a regular basis and it is not that expensive.

As far as the size of the inner axle seal, it is my understanding that they are the same as the stock Ford seals. Columbia used the ends of the stock Ford Axle housings to make up their housings. The seal regester is in this part and not in the formed tube part that Columbia made. If you look at the end of the '46-48 Columbia axle housing, the arm that carriers the spring and shock mounting will have the Ford Part Number on it, just like the Ford Housings. I suspect Columbia bought this part from Ford and used it for their housings. Earlier Columbia's may be different but I suspect not.

Anyway, properly done, a "Late" Columbia in an Early Ford really works well.

This is my experience,

Chris.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote