View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #32
40 Deluxe

Default Re: engine won't turn over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathill View Post
Some good knowledge on this subject, Thank you.
I should mention that after running for roughly 15 minutes and I shut the engine off it won't turn over using the starter button. I took the spark plugs out and it turns over good using the start button. Also could turn over using a hand wrench very easy. Is it possible to have too much compression when trying to start with a hot engine with the spark plugs in ?
I'm really thinking it's a electrical issue, too much resistance in wire or connections.Note, it is a new starter.
Next step will be removing the starter and cleaning all connections.
Most likely can't do till next week.

No need to keep guessing. Remove, clean and tighten ALL electrical connections in the starter circuit. Run it for 15 + minutes. Check battery voltage while cranking. Do a starter amp draw test. Do a voltage drop test.
If it were too much compression (only if this is a hot rodded engine) it would crank for a half turn or so then slow down or stop, then crank again after a few seconds; it would not be locked up tight.
Loosen the starter mounting bolts and jiggle he starter then re-tighten. It's possible the starter is bound up if the bolts weren't tightened evenly.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote