View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 01:39 AM   #4
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: Crankshaft Counterweights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanglfoot View Post
Hello Syncro99, I have counterweighted 12 cranks with what you call kidney shaped weights of varying weights to MA crankshafts over the last 10 years or so.One with weights purchased from Piranios in Texas all welded on. I have welded 10mm weights to the side of the 16mm weights, with no gain I removed them (10mm ones).
None of this gave me the smooth motor that I was expecting. I now have two model B dimond motors with the factory C crank and both are the smoothest motors I have driven so I will stick with them.
I have seen a MA counterweighted crank with some of the MA circle cut away to maybe balance the crank without adding weight to one side and say trimming from the jounal side. not sure if made any diff in the end.
I am convinced that adding weights to MA/B cranks only saves the wear on bearings.So could be worth while in the long run.

Your right, Mr. Tanglfoot. The Ford weights are the best. Just welding a chunk of metal, sticking out one side of a crank, does very little. We started weighting cranks in the early 60's. We don't have time anymore, but we have about 150 of our weighted cranks in our engines. You can hold your hand on the head, and can't hardly tell it is running.

Here's a picture of one of our weighted cranks. They are 5/8's thick, and do not have the extra iron sticking in the way of the grinding, of Rod Pins.

The weights are shunk on, and Pinned, like Ford did it, they were NOT pressed on.

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote