View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #77
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
Your vision and the woodworking skill required to pull it together is mind boggling. I'm trying to understand how you are tieing all the components together. Did you dovetail the stringer at the point of connection with the roof beams? Its hard to tell from the photo of that joint. Do you plan to tie the stringer, roof beam and B pillar together with a steel angle brace like that shown in the photo of the 47 woodie?
Not a dovetail, but a pocket cut made with a router and a wood pattern. It will be glued, scerwed and tatoo'ed. This beam is larger in size than the intermediate beams. This first one is 1 3/4 x 1 3/8. Above the top of the beam I will rout down a 1/2 inch to accept the roof slats. I have already made and installed the steel brackets at the floor to hold the base of the posts. 3/8" thick angles. The tops are held by one 'construction lag' with a star drive washer head. This goes through the pine stringer and 4" into the 3x3 maple pillar. There is also a beech wood 'biscuit' that us woodworkers have used for about 30 years to replace dowels and sometimes mortise and tenons. At this point the posts are in dry for removal if needed, such as easier mortising door hinges/latches etc. On final assembly I will drill through the stringer and add a 5/8 hardwood dowel down into the post. Lastly I will add the T and L steel brackets which I just bought the steel strap for. Where needed I will place a stainless carraige bolt through the pillar and steel bracket. 3m 5200 marine adhesive will fill the joint, biscuit and 5/8 dowel. Before putting fabric on the roof I will fill all holes that pass through the radiused longitudinal stringer. I know these joints will need to stay strong while experiencing considerable stress. The 3m adhesive goes a long way towards achieving that goal with it's tenacious grip and flexible properties. Ok, now I'm late to work......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote