View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
Tom Endy

Default Re: Move Pinion forward and back per Les Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Both articles by Tom and Les are very good. I do have a disagreement with Les when his book says to bolt both axle housing halves together to get a preliminary pre-load check. (or words to that effect). Bolting the halves together without shims (gaskets) can bend the housings and result in leaks. I recommend bolting the left housing on,(I use only 4 bolts at this ( time) place the assembly on end and slip the right side on. Now measure the gap between the housing and the center section. This will tell you how many gaskets to use. Now install half that thickness on both sides and check backlash. This is time consuming but worth the effort. Just my opinion!

My technique is to bolt the right axle housing to the right side of the banjo with no gaskets and torque the bolts down to 35 ft. lbs. With the carrier assembly installed I add two .010 gaskets to the left side of the banjo and attached the left axle housing and begin pulling all the bolts down toward 35 ft. lbs. stopping periodically to check that I can turn the ring gear with my finger by reaching in through the torque tube flange on the banjo. If I feel it getting too tight I stop and add one or more gaskets. In this manner no strain is put on any of the hardware.

Two .010 gaskets is the least amount of gaskets I want to end up with. Anything less and there is liable to be an oil leak.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote