View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Is Arcing shoes necessary for brake job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
I think that is somewhat of an overstatement. If the brakes were 80% useless the car would not be drivable.

Newly turned drums and shoes that have been working in those drums are pretty close to as good as it gets. Arcing the shoes might give you that last 5-10%. The high spots will wear down quickly (BTW, even with arced shoes or shoes that have been in the drums for 10,000 miles you will STILL hear some high spots when you spin a wheel). If you are happy with the way the brakes feel, if you can slide all 4 wheels in a panic stop on dry pavement, I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree !!! I first check to see how close the actual shoe matches the drum before I rivet on the lining . If the shoe is off very much I pick a better fitting shoe . My brakes will lock all four wheels without arcing the shoes . Ford didn't recommend having the brake drums turned. The only time that I would turn steel drums would be if I had installed brake bands and then only enough to true them . Steel drums are thin to begin with .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote