Thread: FORD vs FERRARI
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #58
rotorwrench

Default Re: FORD vs FERRARI

Yep! I think its on Amazon prime too. The 24 Hour War was a documentary release in 2016 and it is THE companion piece to watch after you see the movie. It has the whole scoop from Enzo Ferrari to Ford Motors. It even has a shot of the old Ford 999 car from 1902. It has all the drivers that are still around plus Ferrari people, Ford family members & people, and Shelby American people. It explains a lot that the movie doesn't . Philip Remington and Ken Miles had a lot to do with the success of the GT series. I don't think they could have found better tuners of race cars than those two. Ken got killed when the experimental honeycomb panel car actually broke up at around 180 mph at Riverside. He was still experimenting right up to the end.

This documentary explains a good bit about the relationship between owners and drivers. It also gives more of a sense of the teamwork it took on both sides to win these grueling races. Ken Miles was definitely a team player but he liked to win too. I'm sure if his spirit is still around somewheres that he knows most folks agree that he won that triple crown in 1966. I'm sure that Mclaren and Amon knew he did too. That's racing though and Ken wanted to keep that job with Ford more than win the race or he wouldn't have slowed down that much. I imagine his car was pretty well spent though since he was the rabbit in the team. Bruce Mclaren's Karma caught up with him in 1970 much as it did with Ken Miles. It is a dangerous sport.

In my business the old adage fits too. There are old pilots and bold pilots but there aren't too many old bold pilots.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-26-2019 at 10:08 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote