View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #19
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Sudden rough running, out of ideas

My opinions, opinions may vary.

In addition to the GAV, the needles/passages also control mixture when above idle. I know this because recently I had a motor rebuilt, and when run the plugs were slightly black. The Shop pulled the Carb and discovered the Jets were not quite sized correctly.

So I am still of the opinion you may need to pull the Carb and do a thorough disassembly/cleaning/blowout including the Jets and passages.

I am not looking at electrical issue because of your info about what you have done for testing. But you never know - hindsight once fixed is 100%. If there is an electrical find the running rich issue 1st.

Ammeter, guesses - If it is wiggling only slightly. If running really rough possible the generator is varying speed enough to cause the needle to vary? If running slow enough/uneven seeing the ignition/coil on/off draw? Or possibly the ignition cutting out?

The other issue not mentioned so far is smoke - If running rich and you have an exhaust leak. You should also smell it. Usually if it is a exhaust manifold to block leak, you can also hear it. If a leak at the manifold/exhaust connection, you may or may not hear it. If it is black perhaps wait until the other issue is resolved.

Compression- even if it turn out good, is nice to have the #s, write the reading down, and periodically rerun the test to see how your motor is doing.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote