View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: Anyone tried a Nu-Rex timing wrench?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
I just have to ask, being you control the timing advance by hand which is horribly inaccurate across the board, why does accuracy matter when setting the base setting?

I mean, as long as it starts easy and has enough advance at highway speeds is this not all that matters?

When I set ours, I used the Ford method, I then simply checked to make sure it was happiest idling with the lever around 1/8" down from the top and called it good.
While the driver-controlled spark advance might be crude and "inaccurate" across the board, if the base timing is set-up carefully, then the driver should be withing fairly safe limits no matter where the lever is set.

If the base timing is set too "hot" or too "lazy", and the engine run with the lever at one extreme or the other, there is greater potential for engine damage...

My biggest frustration with setting the timing is the dealing with the backlash in the distributor drive when you go to tighten the cam screw down...

Just my mental meanderings...

With all this buzz about the Nu Rex wrench, my curiosity is piqued... I will have to check it out.

Last edited by Special Coupe Frank; 08-25-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote