View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #65
barkleydave

Default Re: FSI distributor issue

I have been using Pertronix modules for many years with no issues. Have a couple in severe use on a twin engine boat. Running the 6th season no issues and these units are in a boat in the water year round.

Ok lots of pros and cons mostly just opinions. When properly installed they work. Have one been in service on an old vehicle for over 10000 miles over 18 years and no failures.

I have found I like an Original Model A distributor with the FSI module. Easy to setup...
Set timing with pin. (I added a timing mark and degree indicator so I can use a timing light to fine tune.

I set the timing at idle with full spark retard at about 3 degrees retard for that slow model A idle.

I get approx 26 degrees advance and my A's like the advance about 3/4 on a normal highway. We have another A with the Zipper and it works fine but not as fond of the internal advance I like having the spark control!

Ok what about coils?

I have two setups one on each A

#1 Running a 1.4 Ohm coil with an External Ballast Resistor. on a 12 Volt Neg Gnd No pop out switch on off switch which is fused and connected directly to the battery. (Provides very clean current flow no Alternator or Generator Spikes) Make sure you have a very clean ground for the distributor. I run an extra grnd. wire from Dist jut to be sure.

#2 You can also use a 3.0 Ohm coil which is internal resisted without an external Resistor. I have seen no difference in performance with either one.

Now you can do the same with a 6 volt module you then would use a 1.4 ohm coil without an external resistor.

TIP: the lower the ohms the higher the output voltage. a 1.4 ohm is standard for a 6 volt system but when connected to a 12 Volt it MUST be stepped down with the resistor or damage to the module will result. (I think many are bricked that way by mistake)

FSI does provide support and detailed instructions. The best news is they also supply the module already mounted to the plate. I keep one as a spare for tours and I can change it out in 5 min.!

No condenser, no contact plate spring etc. just... no moving parts to wear and unless you blow a timing gear or the dist. screw gets loose timing will not change as you run up the miles.

Which ever you decide to use both work... Fine point Stay with the OEM Touring something to consider. Do not listen to all the noise... do your own research and make your own decision which works best for you.

Note: Ron Cloat "Rainmaker Ron" installed my FS ignition in all our Model A's so I know it was done correctly. Sure miss that guy !

"A man is incapable of leaving a perfectly running machine alone without tinkering!"
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote