View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
bloodyknucklehill

Default What made you a "Ford" guy?

Just thought it'd be a fun thread to kick off the new, Re-Vamped, FordBarn..

My blue oval love affair started with stories I was told sitting on my Da's knee.. My favorite was the one about Grand Torino my Mild mannered Aunt ended up driving.. She is not a gearhead by any means but by some dumb luck always ends up with really cool cars that get driven like a Grandma would all the time.. This particular one turned out to be a totally nutted out 351 Cleveland model with full length headers, ported and polished heads, some type of aftermarket cam, and an Eddy high-rise manifold with a 750 carb and a posi-track 9", with glasspacks exiting behind the rear wheels that her and her husband at the time had bought from a junkyard auction with no idea what it had under the hood.. My Dad sure as hell did once he checked it out after they bought it.. Well my dad had to to take dear ol' auntie to work one day but insists on driving there and back.. So my old man, being the speed demon that he is, decides to bust the cobwebs loose from this street-beast on the trip.. They go through a couple of long straights with dad reving it and smoking tires in the middle of town, aunt screaming to "SLOW DOWN" the whole way.. Then Pops comes to a stopsign that pulls out onto a road that banks heavily to the left.. So just as dear old auntie is catching her breath Dad punches it, turning the car completely sideways, nose pointed at the left lane fog-line, and holding a sideways drift for about 200 feet till the turn-in for her works' parking lot.. The nose of the car was pointed left and the turn-in for the parking lot was on the right, so dad whips it around really fast and slides into the parking lot, as my aunt was clawing at the door.. A few of her male co-workers, who were outside BSing before they headed into work, were clapping and hooting as she got out of the car, but dad was never allowed to drive her car again.. A couple of months later she sold the car and last I heard of it someone put it in a ditch and totalled it.. Maybe that's why I tend to lean towards Fords or maybe not but it's one of the things I think briefly think about every time I hear the word "Ford" and maybe the reason that the first car I bought was a Ford.. My youth was filled stories of automitive debauchery such as this so it's no wonder i turned into the completely car crazy man I am today.. To this day, through the generational barrier that can often exist between father and son and the family qualms and problems that sometimes drive families apart, the one thing my Father and I can always talk about is cars..

Well how bought your guys' stories now?
bloodyknucklehill is offline   Reply With Quote