Thread: Babbitt
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 11:48 AM   #18
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Babbitt

I've never had a problem with the original uncounter weighted model A crankshaft . I think that Ford added weights to the late 32 or early 33 BB engines . A lot of the trucks were hauling heavy loads at full throttle . then the BB crank wit pinned weights was introduced . The model A crankshafts must have been good for so many of them to survive for all these years. The heavy crankshafts DON't make the engines run any faster . Many that have used the heavy crankshafts say that it really didn't cause the engine to run any smoother . I know that a heavy rotating assembly hurts throttle response and acceleration. I cruise my model A's at 50 MPH and have never had a crankshaft failure in over 50 years . I can usually buy a barn find model A's for less than $1600 hundred dollars . I don't expect my model A's to be as smooth as a modern car . Mine are just fun cars that are not used for primary transportation . I figure that most model A's are used in the same manner. If I was doing some racing I would prefer the unbalanced model B crank with the main bearings turned down to model A size . The larger rod bearings would give more strength where it is most needed without as much added weight .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote