View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
CWPASADENA

Default Re: '34 21 stud - no oil pressure

Actually, Flat heads usually do not have problems with oiling unless the whole thing is worn out. If it is a fresh rebuild, I would tend to think the front galley plug was left out or the pressure relief valve in the valley was left out or missing the spring or plunger, or if it has a late pump, the pressure relief valve in it is stuck open.

After you varify (with a different "known to be good" mechanical pressure gauge) that the engine does have very low oil pressure, then I would address the other posibilities.

Also, flatheads do not like thin oil. You can successfully run 10-40 or if it is really hot, 20-50. However, even with thin oil, it should have more oil pressure then you indicate.

Question? How does the engine sound when it is running?

Do not give up quite yet. I have many thousands of miles on 21 stud flat heads with very satisfactory results.

NOTE FOR OTHERS ABOUT OIL AND FLATHEADS, I AM SPEAKING FROM MY EXPERIENCE AND THIS IS JUST MY OPINION ABOUT WHAT OIL TO RUN. I DO NOT MEAN OR INTEND TO START A BIG MAJOR DISCUSSION ABOUT WHAT OIL IS GOOD OR BAD OR WHAT EVER. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, THATS ALL.

Let us know how you make out,

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote