View Single Post
Old 12-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
Zephyr4

Unhappy Clutch slipping.

The clutch in my '31 started slipping this weekend. Slipped a couple of times in traffic and then a whole bunch more coming up a long hill in 3rd - revs were going up, car was slowing down. Made it to the top and it seemed OK for the rest of the mostly flat journey.

Will adjusting the play on the clutch pedal make any difference to this? I have a good 2 inches of travel before the throw out bearing makes contact. I can adjust this down to the recommended 1 inch, but I can't picture how this would make the clutch slip unless it's not fully disengaging the clutch and the clutch plate is dragging and getting hot....I don't hear anything to make me think this is the case.

I'll adjust the clutch tomorrow and give it a test, but part of me thinks this is a waste of time and I should just get the parts ordered and pull the engine ready for a new clutch.

I've had the car up and running for about 9 months. The engine and gearbox were from another car that had been stored for many years. Never slipped before.

Any opinions welcome!
Zephyr4 is offline   Reply With Quote