View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #14
Dave in MN

Default Re: oil pan to rear main cork gasket

[QUOTE=Kohnke Rebabbitting;1042319]Mr. Benson, there is no different sizes, all cap gasket areas are .400 thousandths wide.

Herm,
No different sizes...that did not follow what I have seen.
I had 25 caps so I measured them. 12 were .374" wide and of this width, all had the 3/8" drain pipe, 13 were .400" and all of this width had the 5/16" drain pipe. Thus the justification for the two widths of cork gasket available from some suppliers.
From the 25 caps in my sample, the narrow width cap gasket areas were all on cast caps with the thicker bolt area. The 13 caps with the wider gasket area...10 were designed for the shorter bolts and 3 were the long bolt (cast) design.
I also measured a couple cork rear main cap gaskets the wider batch (sample lot of 10) ranged from .432" to .440". The narrow gaskets (sample lot of 10) varied from .380" to .390".
As you state above and I have observed, the narrow gaskets do not work well in the .400" caps.
Up until about 5 years ago, I did get two cork gaskets from my main supplier, one narrow and one wide like described above. The current kits I get only have the wider cork gasket included. The wider gasket can be used on the narrow groove cap but it is a bit more work to get it seated.

W.Michael,
I do not soak these gaskets in anything before I install them. I have all new gaskets so mine are not overly stiff or dried out. I pre-cut them to 6-7/8" before the start of installation. I lightly coat the surface of the cap groove with Permatex #2, and then start on one end working the cork gasket into the groove with a medium size screwdriver. Herm describes the same method of installation.
Good Day"

Last edited by Dave in MN; 03-02-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: I added more caps into the measured sample set.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote