View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #26
MikeK

Default Re: Bad Condenser Symptoms?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
Mike, thank you for the explanation. Given the details, what's your opinion of my issue? Is my coil done for?
All of the possibilities the fellas have suggested are plausible, and that makes it kinda fun, like playing "Clue". When it gets too drawn out, like a monopoly game stalemate (3 days!!) the fun dwindles.

I'm not one to react like a modern car pseudo-mechanic and suggest you just start replacing parts 'till you win, but a condenser is a part that is difficult to check under actual working voltage, engine heat, and frequency conditions. It is cheap and easy to swap out, so I'd start there. A meter test will tell the static capacitance and DC leakage, but that can be deceiving. If it is not the condenser, that's OK, it's always nice to have a known-good one in your trick bag of Model A tidbits. Go from there.

A coil is also difficult to test under heat and working conditions for internal insulation break-down and partial winding shorts. It is EXPENSIVE, so I'd run down everything else suggested in the replies first, unless you have a dizzy test machine or you're Rockefeller or have a bucket full of spare Model A coils, one of which may be good.

It was Professor Plum in the library with the candlestick. Do I win or am I out?
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote