View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
Fred A

Default '39 Ain't What It Used To Be!

The guys did a pretty good job for the OP. I disagree with HOOP on the point where the 39 trans is too valuable to steal the gears. Out west the popularity of a 39 like trans is waaay down, leaving me on a pile of them that are slow sellers. Now this may be a regional thing, but the use of BW T5 transmissions has taken the heat out of that 39 trans market. Guys like Max Navarro who did business in these transmissions are now doing better selling Max's book on that subject. Almost like price fixing, the needed components sell for some pretty low prices these days. The current harder to get includes double detent shift tops with the 91 fork. Really good main shafts with the pin can be tough or easy depending. Cases seem to be locked at a $75 price. No reason to use less than the best there. I'm sure you sharpies out there can do much better but you have to get out there to score. Not everyone wants to or can do that. My current projects are late geared Model B cases with the the appropriate rear retainer. Many Model A drivers now admit to the faulty design of the poorly supported Model A flywheel housing that always cracks. If they're running a B engine the smarter setup is the B trans(or a well geared S10 T5). Good luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote