View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Starting for the first time in 10 years!

FWIW, Even worse complex fuel problem:

A. My 1930 Town Sedan sat on Canadian Goodrich tires for 30 years in New York, in heated storage, with (2) former owner/car collectors where the first collector had it for 10 years, second collector 20 years; in 30 years, odometer had only about 500 miles since last restoration when I bought it. Former owner guess he traveled 200 - 250 miles in 20 years.

B. One (1) Big Problem: One former owner used the MAFCA 1970's "The Restorer" article on how to seal a gas tank with black, "Permatex Sealer mixed with alcohol to seal his fusty gas tank.

C. After I did a total mechanical rebuild from bumper to bumper, (all new moving parts like bushings, bearings, ring & pinion, pistons, rings, new cam, cam gear, new valves and guides, etc., etc.); I filled gas tank with fresh 10% ethanol gasoline which caused the fuel tank's "Permatex" sealer to dissolve.

D. Safely made one 10 mile trip to bring my son and his wife to their wedding reception and safely drove 10 miles back with no problem.

E. Difficult to start next day. Found on the inside of the carburetor and inside of the intake manifold a thick black coating of dissolved hard, tar like "Permatex" that had formerly dissolved in the fuel tank and stuck to these warm metal surfaces.

F. Cleaned inside of fuel tank, carburetor, manifold etc., with POR 15 Marine Clean, installed an in-tank screen about 10 years ago and never had a starting or engine running problem since.

(One other big problem, <not fuel related>, was one (1) side, (bottom side), of the cam shaft had deep rust pits where cam had to be replaced.)

Just hope this can help anyone in the future who finds a stored for a long time, non-running Model A.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote