Thread: fan shroud 39
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
flatjack9

Default Re: fan shroud 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Pictures show the partial shroud I tried from Speedway. It zip-ties through the Champion aluminum radiator core. It leaves a big gap at the bottom. I added a spacer to get the fan blades just inside the shroud and about 1" from the core. I hoped it would help cooling at idle, but the improvement was minimal. Took about ten minutes at idle to overheat (210+) on a hot day, versus maybe five minutes without the shroud. A added a baffle and foam to block air flow around, over or under the radiator to improve cooling at interstate speeds (60+) on a hot day. Also minimal improvement. Biggest disappointment was adding Dennis Carpenter water pumps, designed to improve flow at idle, also made minimal improvement.

What fixed the problem was squeezing in a much bigger brass/copper truck radiator. Lesson: If you add 20% displacement and high compression, you better add 20% radiator area.
Shrouds like that are pretty much useless. you need to cover the entire radiator. That is not what I bought from Speedway. I believe they are made by Walker.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote