View Single Post
Old 12-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #18
CHuDWah

Default Re: Coupe versus Tudor survival rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Hi. Yeah, I agree! Reason I am happy to own a Tudor & dream of a Sport Coupe because of the expense & complexity of the top!
BTW, I had my Tudor top renewed over 45 years ago & it still looks great. The original top was only 40 years old when I got the car but was leaking & covered in bitumen in places. I think the materials we have in recent years are far superior than what was around in the Model A era.

We restored a 30 Sporty in the 70s. It was a "yard car" that had set for years with NO top. The wood bows were shot but usable for patterns. Fortunately the metal hardware was there in decent shape. The only thing missing was the landau irons and we lucked out finding an original pair without much searching.

Correct material was unobtainium so we used a L-B kit in canvas. Aside from the instructions being not very helpful, installing it wasn't too difficult - mostly just figuring out where the pieces went and making sure everything fit before tacking it down. It turned out really nice...that is, until I got caught in a downpour at a show. The top didn't leak much but it sure wicked water around the edges - course it ended up with stains from the wood and metal.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote