View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
rotorwrench

Default Re: 41 Pickup with unusual overload kit Help

The early 1941 pickups used the same frame as the 1940 cars & pickups. The 6-cylinder modification came in mid year but I think it was mostly a frontal change to the cross member so that the 6 or V8 could be used in the same frame. I've heard that they set up a bit taller but I don't think they changed the design. It may have been a spring change but I don't know for sure. In any case they still just had the one transverse rear spring. 1942 was the first year for open drive and dual rear springs.

The helper spring set ups generally don't use a rubber pad. It would have been steel spring to cast iron pad. The pad should have a curve to it to allow for the spring to slide against it when loaded. Most of the larger trucks had longer wheel base and a Timken type rear axle. I would expect helpers on them but not so much on a half ton commercial with a passenger car type frame.

Unless your friend if going into the freight business, I'd recommend going back to a stock suspension. The helper is likely an aftermarket add on so it won't get points at a show.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-18-2018 at 09:23 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote