View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #42
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Blocking Off Heat Risers

Update....did mine this morning. Went the block off plate (.025) method. The first thing you realize is that it is a lot easier to install the passenger side plate (less around the base). The driver’s side has a lot more stuff that get in the way of loosening the bolts (breather pipe, choke, oil filter and fuel pump). OK so the real reason that I did this was for the sound, I got tired of it being so quite...I love the flathead sound and I wasn't getting it! Then there is the issue of doing it on a brisk Colorado morning (36 degrees). When I finished I started it up and it ran like crap, you would have thought I pulled half the plug wires off. As the engine got warmer and the ambient tempature got up to 40 degrees (high today is to be 51), it began to smooth out. When the engine temp got to 160 I was good to go. The sound at idle is awesome!!!! And my wife said as I pulled out of the drive way she could really notice the difference. Bottom line it took about 45 minutes to install the two plates. As to the increased noise, my car is a convertible the overall noise from the sounds through the convertible top will overpower it anyway. I can't wait for a nice day - 50 degrees (most of the snow is gone for now and the roads are dry - remember I am at 8300 ft.)- and the top will go down and then I will be able to hear her in all her glory.....and there there is that issue of a cooler carb. Pulled the plugs and so far I am not noticing any increase in running richer.Thanks guys for this posting.

PS: I do have duals on the car.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 05-05-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)