View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
rundmt123

Default New Radiator and Losing Coolant

First few voyages of a near complete restoration. First real drive the car - 28 Leatherback - overheated terribly. It was the original radiator and I had it checked originally and told it was good. I was spewing fluid after a short drive. Timing was great and so was carb air fuel mix. Checked an re-tightened the head and detected no leaks. So replace the radiator with one from Snyders. I believe both they and Brattons sell the same heavy duty one from a company in IL.

First run post new radiator was perfect. Ran nice and cool. Days later went out again and terrible overheating again. Come to find out I had very little radiator fluid in the radiator. Filled it and ran beautifully again. Went through everything with a fine tooth comb and no leaks anywhere. So where am I losing my coolant and how do I prevent it?? I've searched through the posts on here and have seen some things about new radiators and having to change the water pump impellers or adding a thermostat otherwise you can lose fluid through the overflow tube. Is this is what is happening to me?

As always, thanks in advance for the help. Advice from this forum has helped me figure out every problem I've faced so far!
rundmt123 is offline   Reply With Quote