View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 07:14 AM   #3
Joe K

Default Re: Look what I found in my parts box

I purchased what was reported as 1928-29 Closed Cab hinges from a Model A'er on the left coast.

"No actually" he says. "They're from a 1926-27 Model T coupe - so they may not be exactly the same as the Model A pickup hinges."

I bought them simply as an experiment, and since I have original Model A hinges to compare them to, I figured at the least they could be modified based on my Model A hinges.

The hinges arrived and I'm hard put to find any difference between the supposed Model T and Model A hinge. They appear identical.

And more surprisingly, the Model T hinges are marked on the back-side "Stanley Works" being what today is known as Stanley-Black & Decker.

So apparently Ford sub-contracted at least this part of the car to a major pressed steel hinge manufacturer.

And I also concluded that most of the difficulties restorers have in fitting the Model T doors to the Model A truck are in the cowl - and any subsequent work necessary to make the "tumble home" (nautical term) match on the body.

Joe K