View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
denniskliesen

Default Re: Timing gear/cam noise?

I've done the plunger screw in the cover mod with bronze gear and hardened crank gear. Still cam knock and .010" end play initially had .004" when new. Now after pulling the pan off I find all of the bronze worn from the gear in the bottom of the pan. I can tighten down the screw and after 15 minutes it starts knocking again. Im going to machine some new parts internal to the the plunger again to see if it holds. I doubt it will last but will give it another try. I have a Stipe B 340 cam with adjustable lifters, lash checked good, new valves with modern stems, cam bores were good and measured parallel to the crankshaft bores, stripped the fiber timing gear at 6,000 miles new pump drive, shaft and rebuilt distributor and new oil pump when the short block was done just under 10,00 miles. Everything turns good. Burlington crank was new before the stripped first timing gear. Maybe .004" lash when new is too much but to find .010" lash after the few miles with the bronze down in the oil pan, I'm very unhappy. The engine is too loud to hear the cam bounce at higher rpm, but very noticeable at idle. Pretty sad to think I spent that much money on a short block getting it inserted with so many new parts, and replaced it with a cheap swap meet diamond block that i did a refresh with rings and valve lap with a regrind cam and fiber gear that runs ok and is much quieter.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote