View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #40
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Camshaft Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercmarc View Post
Hello Flatjack9,

I have 65 psi OP at cold idle (600RPM) and 50 psi OP at 180 degrees idle. I believe I see upwards of 75 at 2000 RPM at 180 degrees. Full flow and pressure fire wall mounted oil filter.

I don't see the photos I attached earlier so I will try this again. Please forgive me if they are duplicates.
Just because you have an external oil filter, does not mean that it is 100% filtering the oil. Even if it is a modern-full-flow type system, it is doubtful that the oil pump was specifically modified for full-flow (which means a special TOP on it and oil lines that exit the side of the pan).

Most builders do a partial flow setup - where the rear main of the engine is still getting unfiltered oil. The term "95%" filtration is a common term used for this . . . but that is creative math in my mind . . . we have 3 mains in a flathead, two of which will get filtered oil (so not counting the cam bearings), I consider these partial full-flow mods to be a 66% filtration . . . not 95%.

Why is this important, well if you have metal running through the engine, you probably ran some through at least the rear main bearing and the rear cam bearing . . . and that is not a good situation.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote