View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 11:41 PM   #19
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Banjo hub bearing seat cracked

I get that you are new to this but am I right that this hub is from the same rear end you had the picture of the banjo that had vice and hammer marks on the machined face the gaskets seal on? Every part of this rear end needs to be inspected by someone who has experience with these rear ends. It is how you learn. ESPECIALLY the axle keyways. They probably have been run loose on the key by someone who thought the key was there to keep the hub from spinning on the axle. This is a real safety issue. Loose hubs cause cracks to start at the inner end of the keyway and when they break off, the drum, broken axle end, wheel and tire exit the vehicle. This can happen at any time, like going down the highway at speed or just starting out from a stop. The axles you use if not new MUST be checked for cracks either by dye penetrant or magnaflux or both. This is a serious safety issue and someone new to the old Ford rear end may not know about it. Please get your axles checked and read up on how to insure your hubs are correctly tightened. Everything else on or in the rear end could be or go bad without causing an accident and damaging your car or hurting you. I know some people in Ellensburg with flathead experience. PM me please. I visit my son and grandkids there and would be happy to stop by your place next time I am over.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote