View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #15
rotorwrench

Default Re: how can you tell the 1942 from 1947 pickup apart

Canadian built commercial pickups had differences throughout the flathead era plus the additional Mercury pickups. I don't know what all was different but stuff was mainly just made in different factories with different manufacturing techniques at times. The big factor in this was the world war. Canadian production of war materials started converting in late 1939 and early 1940 so I don't know how many 1942 pickups were made in Canada. Most Ford vehicles going to the south pacific region had their origins in Canada. It would be interesting to know the figures on this for the civilian type vehicles. Some pickups may also have been produced as military vehicles by Ford Canada. I don't know if G8T trucks were produced there or not. I also don't know how much different 4X4 stuff was produced by Marmon Herrington

The more the old Ford pickups get repaired, taken apart, and put back together, the more the picture gets blurry about what year all the parts are. The best clue was the engine originally but most likely don't have their original one. The 221 V8 and the G 6-cylinder were the common pre-war engines. Prewar ignition distributors were different. The body differences are a lot more subtle as previous posts suggest. The frame number is still the best way to tell.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote