View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #22
Old Henry

Default Re: 47 generator rear bushing

I always loaded the oil fitting at the back of the generator every thousand miles as recommended by Ford. However, I made two mistakes. First of all, not knowing how the oil got through the bearing to the shaft, I put in thick oil, SAE 95-140. The second mistake was, the last time I oiled the generator, The oil spout somehow popped off and was found laying on the top of the manifold at the end of my latest 1300 mile trip. I put the filler back in and pounded it down tight but I think the damage was already done. When I took the generator apart at that point, the bearing was totally dry but not particularly worn. Then, another mistake, again, because I didn’t know how the oil got through the bearing to the shaft. I loaded the bearing with grease, counting on it to lubricate if the oil didn’t. I then did my 2000 mile road trip. That apparently finished off the bushing. So, the problem was not lack of lubrication, it was too heavy oil, axle grease, oil filler falling off allowing the oil to evaporate and the bearing to dry out.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)