View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 02:45 PM   #1388
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

It’s quite okay to call me Mr Simplicity.
Chapter 1.
It was in 1986 Rutan and Yeager flew non-stop around the world. This is a story about my endeavour to upgrade the Nav gear in my C180. I went to Moorabbin airport and spoke to Mr Radio: Les Colman. I asked for some of that new stuff that navigates from the satellites. Mr Colman said I must be dreaming. Had I read too many flash Gordon comics. I told him I knew the boats used it. He pointed to a large photo on his wall and pointed out to me he was greeting Rutan and Yeager on their arrival back in Edwards Airforce Base. Gary, that’s how recent I’ve been to the U.S. so I’m current on the latest systems.
Well I had Mr Coleman install and new VHF/COM and International DME. That was an expensive exercise.
It was only what seemed like about 4 months later a new piece of nav equipment becomes available. What was it? A GPS of course. Bugger. I had just installed an expensive international DME so I removed it and advertised it for sale. I was nearly over run with enquiry. Now here comes the amazing point. Two aeroplane owners asked if it had a fluro display and when I answered yes they said it would look good on their panel. It’s usefulness didn’t seem to be a consideration.
I would prefer a nice painting or a calendar on my instrument panel. Remember simplicity is my preference.
I just found a quote that appeals to me. It seems like Henry Ford agrees with me. It’s below.
"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 06.42.36.jpg (14.2 KB, 3 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote