View Single Post
Old 11-13-2021, 05:22 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: supercharger carb info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
When I decide to add my 2 cents to a post I do it based off actual seat of the pants experience. When it comes to Ford flathead high performance be it horsepower or reliability I went about it by teaching myself by trial and error. This I have found while frustrating at times has been perfect for learning the correct way of doing this stuff.
My first experience with my own supercharged flathead began in the last century during 1978.
My first blower was a 671 GMC with two 600 CFM Holleys on top. Yes you read that right a 671 on my little 258 cube Flathead. The first thing I learned was how easy it was to blow head gaskets when using Edlebrock heads which were resurfaced to much. Boy the number of Victor big bore copper head gaskets i went thru in those early learning days is amazing. At least they were not expensive at $4.95 each I still remember the part number 3044 and 3045.

Next learning curve came when the dome tops of the forged pistons decided to go the other way they went down! To much advance not enough octane in the gas and to much boost will melt aluminum.

My wife and I drove our 671 blown Flattead powered Deuce roadster all over the tri state area and as far as Memphis Tenn. attending the Street Rod Nationals. On the open road miles per gallon was always 20 or more. As the years went by I learned more and more about that blower combination.

Racing at the drags that steel roadster and little 258 cube flathead would run low 13 seconds at over 100 MPH in the quarter. Many guys running overhead engines in their Hot Rods thought running heads up against my flathead was an easy win many found out it was not I beat all of them back then.

Fast forward to this Century I decided to try my hand at Land Speed Racing so my first engine i used in my race car was that little old 258 from so long ago and that 671 GMC blower and the two Holley 600 four barrels. Speeds in the race car as a Lakester 182 MPH then I converted to a rear engine roadster combination same engine 172 MPH. My little engine continued to surprise more than 30 years latter.

Above is a bit of history that most don't know about me. So when I decide to add my thoughts to certain posts its done based off experience not an attempt to just write something. I enjoy helping when I can.
Ronnieroadster
Ronnie .....That is downright impressive, and rightfully-gained knowledge and wisdom through payin' your dues.

I don't know about the rest of you's guys, but I'm STILL payin' attention, and waiting for any more of this wisdom to come to light. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote