View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 06:28 PM   #14
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: new valve seats for a 53 EAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
Ronnie, Here's what I have experienced with unleaded gas and no hard seats. The exhaust valve will beat or burn the block or head casting away to the water jacket as I have seen personally on my Windsors. In the case of a flat head you will lose your valve lash as the block material goes away until the valve burns to the point you have no compression. That's the motor I was running in my 41 pickups fate. If there is a better way around this let me Know, as I've said in the past I don't know everything and listen well. Thank you all for the input. it is greatly appreciated, Tim

Tim as noted by Pete and KIWinUS there's something else wrong if a flathead Ford block valve seat has gone away. My experience with my all out gas burring flatheads with the valve seat ground on the Ford flathead block casting has proven to me there's no need for a replacement valve seat. The Ford block iron has never failed me. I can tell you the extreme exhaust heat produced in my race engines requires the very best valve available I use Manley Severe duty valves which after a few runs are in need of grinding. The block valve seats are always fine a simple lapping on seats with the valve after grinding and its good to go once again. Your experience with the 41 engine is strange all of the early engines I have built so far have had no failures like that. Could it be the opposite has taken place the valve begins burning thus the seat is now becoming damaged. Poor quality off shore import valves maybe caused the initial problem.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote