View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 07:06 AM   #10
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: You cant trust these kids working in a Automotive store.

Slightly OT, and more about the kids behind the counter.... a number of years ago, I was helping a friend who had bought a vintage truck from me. We needed new spark plugs. so we went to the nearby Advance Auto, and I asked the clerk ( kid behind the counter, complete with many tattoos and grommets in his ear lobes ) for six Auto-lite spark plugs and gave him the plug number (believe they were 307 - a common 14mm plug).

The kid behind the computer insisted he needed to know the year, make and model of the vehicle. I replied that I knew the part number, and had given it to him, could he just please go back to the shelves and grab six of them.

We went round & round on this point for about five minutes, neither side budging.

Finally, I said, "Okay, you asked for it. Year, make and model ? 1961 Willys 6-226 Utility Truck ! "

He just stood there blinking for a few moments, then asked me to repeat the information... I repeated it, and wrote it down for him. He tried entering the info in his computer terminal... and found nothing.

We went through Willys, Jeep, AMC, and didn't find a listing. Finally, a manager who had begun to hover jumped-in and asked if he could help.

I went back to the original request for six Auto-lite 307 spark plugs, and the manager checked stock by part number, and told me they didn't stock them, but we were able to cross to a small engine plug they did have in stock.

After about a half-hour, my buddy and I had six spark plugs, and got on with our day and got his truck running.

Seems like many trips to the auto store turn into "teachable moments" for me...
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote