View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #32
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Mac's quality control

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
I don't know how it works in the U.S, but here in the UK we have protection for consumers. If goods are of inferior quality they can be returned to the vendor for a FULL refund including carriage (sorry, shipping). If paid for with a credit or debit card the claim can be processed by the credit/debit card company. Enough of those landing on their desks should be a wake up call ?

But as stated previously, as long as Barners continue to accept shoddy goods manufacturers will continue to churn them out and motor factors will continue to sell them.

I don't think Rolls Royce owners would accept rubbish but it seems that we humble for
custodians have to.

Well; for the time being, that is.

On another topic but only deviating slightly; I see that U.S. dealers are permitted by law to advertise and sell secondhand cars "as is, as seen; no warranty". How do they get away with that ?

As a garage proprietor I am bound by law to give a guarantee on a used car, even if it's 15 years old and for sale at £1000 !
Large car dealers (and some small) usually will inspect and guarantee the cars they sell to the public. Of course their prices will be slightly higher. They auction the rest off to other dealers. Smaller dealers and personal sellers usually permit the potential buyer to take the car to their mechanic. If the car wasn't guaranteed and they would not let me take it to mechanic I would shop elsewhere. The free market will put them out of business. I am happy with this approach and hope the government stays out of our lives.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote